You work hard each day and probably haven’t stopped running since the start of the school year when fall work productivity kicked in. So it’s time to get in some much needed play time! We are fully in fall here in the northeast and the weather is very welcoming for outdoor activities. Here are some ideas for fun and laugh-inducing diversions from too much stress and work stuff.
If it’s nice out, choose a favorite outdoor activity to burn some energy and laugh out loud as much as possible.
- Go for a hike. If it is still warm enough, how about camping too?
- Bike on a nearby rail to trail path. Decorating bicycle tire spokes is optional but a great silly addition.
- Roller Coaster! Most places around me us only open a few more weeks on weekends, but if you can find one, get screaming.
- Go to a parade. If you missed Columbus Day, look forward to Veteran’s Day and find a parade.
- Find a fair. One of our favorites is the Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY next weekend.
- Music under the stars. Find an outdoor concert with your favorite style of music.
- Picnic. Pack a basket of goodies and wine and sit back and giggle with the one you love!
- Don’t forget Halloween! Get decorating—your house, yourself, your kids. Enjoy the fun activities.
- Sports or all sorts! How about some golf? Or why not some outdoor yoga or a run among the leaves? Fall weather is wonderful for outdoor exercise and games of all kinds.
- Apple picking. Probably my all-time favorite fall activity, find an orchard and pick yummy, crisp apples. Then bake something delish with the apples!
- Pumpkin Patch. Pick your own is so much fun!
- Take a drive to enjoy the colors. We are headed to VT and NH to drive through mountains of beautiful fall trees. Take lots of pics.
If it is too cold or rainy, find an indoor play activity. There are so many to choose from these days.
- Bowling—silly shoes required.
- Indoor Go-Kart racing. We have a course in our mall.
- Indoor miniature golf. Deck yourself out in some preppy togs.
- Make your own clay pottery shops. Get really messy.
- Or pull out your own arts and crafts and get gluing or painting or whatever!
- Arcades for skeeball, racing games, dance games, pinball, and all that fun stuff.
- Movie marathon! Try this at home or go to a double feature at the theater. Have plenty of popcorn and candy.
Remember that successful people also play. It is essential to take care of yourself and find ways to reduce stress, let go and just have some fun. Find activities that stretch you to be a bit more silly than usual. You will be rewarded with laughter and joy!